Jay J. Schuttert
Evans Fears & Schuttert LLP
6720 Via Austi Parkway
Las Vegas, NV 89119
His practice is primarily focused on defending product liability matters for manufacturers of chemicals, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, automobiles, motorcycles, consumer/recreational products, and industrial equipment. Jay also handles premises liability, vehicle/trucking collisions, medical malpractice, commercial disputes, and employment matters.
Jay is a go-to trial lawyer whose lead and co-lead trial experience includes numerous jury trials in federal and state courts in Nevada and around the country for product manufacturers and corporations, involving claims of serious illness, catastrophic injury and/or wrongful death.
Professional Recognition & Awards
- Legal Elite – Top Southern Nevada Attorneys, Nevada Business Magazine (2015, 2016, 2018)
- Mountain States Super Lawyers®, Rising Stars Edition, Personal Injury Defense (2012-2016)
- Mountain States Super Lawyers®, Product Liability Defense (2019-2022)
Presentations & Publications
“Keeping Out of the Weeds: Defense Should Focus On Winning Liability Instead of Damages at Trial,” Co-Author, Nevada Lawyer Magazine (January 2017)
Other Professional Experience
Snell & Wilmer LLP, Las Vegas, Nevada – Partner, Product Liability Litigation
- Pharmaceutical/Medical Devices – defense of domestic and foreign manufacturers of pharmaceuticals and medical devices in mass tort and catastrophic injury actions
- Mass & Toxic Torts – defense of domestic and foreign manufacturers in chemical, herbicide/pesticides, asbestos, and benzene exposure actions
- Automotive Products – defense of rollover, crashworthiness, post-collision fire cases for domestic and foreign automobile manufacturers, motorcycle manufacturers, and off-road utility vehicle manufacturers
- Consumer/Industrial Products – defense of manufacturers of various products including industrial equipment, elevators/escalators, plumbing components, firearms, and amusement attractions
- Tort Litigation – defense of premises liability, automobile collisions, and medical malpractice actions
- Commercial Litigation – defense of contract, consumer fraud, and subrogation actions
- Served as lead trial counsel for an automotive manufacturer in a 3-week jury trial, involving claims of catastrophic injury from defectively designed seat in a sport utility vehicle.
- Served as trial counsel for an automotive manufacturer in a 4-week jury trial, involving claims of wrongful death from a defectively designed roof in a sport utility vehicle
- Served as a member of the trial team for an herbicide manufacturer in one of the first jury trials in a high-profile mass tort action, involving a popular weed and grass killer.
- Served as a member of several trial teams for a pharmaceutical manufacturer in a high-profile mass tort litigation, involving hormone replacement therapy.
- Served as a key member of the defense team for a medical device manufacturer in a high-profile mass tort action, involving a contraceptive implant device.
- Syracuse University College of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2003)
- Associate Editor, Syracuse Law and Technology Journal
- Justinian Honorary Law Society
- University of Rhode Island (B.S., Business Management, highest distinction, 1999)
- Beta Gamma Sigma
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Defense Research Institute
- Supreme Court of Nevada
- United States District Court, District of Nevada
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
EFS has successfully tried cases with billions at stake in some of the most challenging locations in the country. In addition to having tried multiple cases in federal and state courts in Nevada, we have tried cases from coast to coast for some of the largest product manufacturers and corporations in the world.
The reason for our success is straight forward. We know how to select and communicate with jurors to motivate them to reach verdicts for our clients. We know how to examine key witnesses from surgeons to engineers, from oncologists to biomechanics, from regulators to economists, from former executives to sales representatives. We know that a successful trial is built on teamwork, innovation, and a compelling narrative. In short, we know how to win high-stakes trials.